This easy slow cook chili is the perfect food for cold days! Serve with corn bread and your favorite ingredients!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) dark red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) small red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tbs chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup, optional
- 1/4 cup sliced jalapeño peppers, optional
- Chili dressings to serve: grated cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, slices of jalapeño, cilantro, avocado, etc.
- Start by heating the oil in a large skillet (medium heat recommended).
- Add onion, ground beef and garlic; cook, with wooden spoon, shred meat during cooking until no longer pink, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Empty the liquid fat from the tray and discard.
- Place cooked meat, onion, and garlic in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add red pepper, beans, roasted tomatoes, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper and maple syrup, if desired.
- Cover and simmer for 6 to 8 hours or 3 to 4 hours over high heat.
- Remove the lid and add the domesticated jalapeño slices, if necessary.
- Taste and season with salt and additional seasonings, if necessary.
- Pour chili into bowls and serve with desired garnish.