The magic of ocoa powder in this recipe will wow you that you might get addicted to it.
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 pounds ground turkey (preferably dark meat)
- 28-ounce can roasted chopped tomatoes over heat
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup bitter cocoa powder
- 2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth and more to lighten chili if needed.
- 2 cups crushed corn tortilla chips, plus whole serving chips
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Two 15-ounce cans of 15-ounce pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Sliced shallot, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and chopped marinated jalapeño, to serve.
- Heat the oil in a medium-large non-sticky skillet at a medium-high heat.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring, until oil is brick red and mixture is dry, about 2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and 1 tablespoon salt and cook, stirring and breaking into small chunks, until turkey needs to be cooked thoroughly at this point.
- Transfer mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, cocoa powder, vinegar, oregano and 1 teaspoon salt in a skillet over medium-high heat and bring to boil, stirring.
- Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato, beans, onions, crushed tortillas and garlic mixture to insert and mix.
- Cover and simmer for 6-8 hours.
- Add chicken broth to dilute chili if necessary.
- Season with salt.
Serve with green onions, cheddar cheese, sour cream, marinated jalapeño and tortilla chips.