Native Roast Chicken Recipe
- kosher salt
- 1 (5 to 6 pounds) roasted chicken
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs.
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon cut in half
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (1/4 bar), melted
- 1 head garlic, cut in half the width
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, uncovered and quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove chicken offal.
- Rinse chicken in and out.
- Remove excess fat and feather residue and clean outside.
- Add seasoning to the inner part of the chicken with pepper and salt.
- Fill cavity with thyme bouquet, two lemon halves and all garlic.
- Grease the outside of the chicken with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper again.
- Tie the thighs with kitchen string and fold the ends of the wings under the body of the chicken.
- Put the onions, carrots and fennel in a frying pan.
- Mix with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme and olive oil.
- Spread on the bottom of the pan and place the chicken on top.
- Roast chicken for an hour and a half or until juice is clear when cut between legs.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from platter and cover with foil for about 20 minutes.
- Cut the chicken on a plate and serve with vegetables.