Jerk Shrimp Black Bean and Rice is an easy to prepare, light dinner with lots of flavor! Jumbo shrimp are marinated in a dry meat sauce, sautéed with onions and peppers, seasoned with fresh mango sauce and served with rice and beans. This Caribbean dinner is cooked in a single pan, which means it’s quicker to cook and there’s less damage to clean up.Print
An easy and light dinner, with lots of flavor and cooked in a single frying pan!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound (450 g) raw shrimp, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper, flaked
- 2 tablespoons Jerk seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- fresh thyme, to garnish (optional)
Rice and Beans
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup raw jasmine rice (or any other white rice you like)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 oz. – 425 g) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- Juice of a lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a medium bowl, add shrimp and mix with Jerk and Cumin seasonings. Marinate for 10 minutes while remaining ingredients are prepared.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Collect the prawns in a skillet (making sure they do not accumulate) and cook them on both sides for one minute. Add onion and red pepper, season with a pinch of salt. Add green pepper and cook, stirring once or twice, over medium heat, for about 3-4 minutes total, until shrimp are pink. Paint with 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth and mix quickly. Remove shrimp from skillet on plate and set aside.
- In the same frying pan, add a tablespoon of olive oil and raw rice. Stir well to coat rice with oil and fry for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer. Cover skillet with lid. Simmer 10-12 minutes, covered, until rice is cooked. You can add 1/2 cup of water if the rice is not completely cooked.
- In the meantime, you can prepare the mango sauce by dicing and combining all the ingredients. Store in a refrigerator.
- When the rice is ready. Mix drained black beans with cooked rice. Stir well to mix properly.
Add cooked shrimp to rice skillet and heat gently, stirring quickly. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and garnish with fresh thyme. Serve shrimp and rice with sauce. Have fun and enjoy!