This dish is excellent if well done. It is necessary that the filling is fine and flavored, also that the light dough absorbs the juices from the meat during cooking. A bit difficult to do, but if you follow protocol, this recipe can be made by even a child. This cake is excellent, it is prepared with a paste, the filling is made only from various meats (without sausages), bacon and mustard to enhance the flavors. I am sure you will like this special simple block pate recipePrint
A great Lyon specialty found in Les Halles.
- 500 g flour
- 400 g butter
- 15 g salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 500 g pork loin
- 125 g bacon
- 125 g veal chop
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg (to tie the filling)
- 2 egg yolks to brown the cake
- 1/3 of a bunch of parsley
- 2 finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 jar Dijon mustard
- Salt (not too much: bacon is usually quite salty)
PREPARATION OF BULK EASTER PÂTÉS
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Let stand 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- If the dough is very fresh, the butter hardens: remove and leave to heat at room temperature for about 30 minutes to make it malleable.
- Heat the oven gas mark 6 (180°C);
- boiled eggs (4).
- Grind the meat, parsley, chopped shallot, salt and pepper.
- Add the rest of the egg to tie the filling, mix well all the ingredients.
- Spread the dough on a thick aluminium foil.
- It is preferable to order a large aluminium foil on the worktop and spread out the dough to give it an oval shape, taking into account the size of the block: the legnth of the block should be around 30 cm long, with height 8 cm high and the width should be 8-9 cm wide.
- As the dough is a little fragile and soft, it is easier to move the block and place it on the grid, thanks to the aluminum foil that supports it, otherwise the block can “break” during this dangerous transport.
- Brush the mustard paste with the mustard paste, with a rectangular filling base: (length 27cm / width 8cm).
- Align the 4 hard-boiled eggs on the base of the meat, leaving a space between each egg.
- Fill these spaces with the filling and cover the eggs with a large sausage crushed at the ends.
- Gently roll the dough on the sides of this pudding to completely wrap the filling dough.
- Fold the ends: you can give decorative effects.
- Decorate the cake with the rest of the dough: make the fruits, flowers, leaves, knots and put them on the block.
- Mix the egg yolks and fry the cake with a brush.
- Make two holes and put two cylinders of paper or cardboard (the “chimneys” that will breathe the cake during baking).
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Check the baking time from 30 minutes (depending on the oven) with a knife.
- If the cake is overcooked and overcooked, place it on aluminium foil.
Let it cool down a little before eating and enjoy!
Enjoy your meal!