This is a very simple delicacy to prepare which the whole family will enjoy to the fullest. The steps are quite easy and even a novice can make a great meal out of this just following the steps below
- 4 chicken thighs, separate legs and chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- Cooked rice, to serve
(Special equipment: an Instant Pot® multi-purpose kitchen.)
- Season chicken legs generously with salt and pepper.
- Turn the Instant Pot® (see cooking note) over high heat.
- Add the oil and, once it shines but is not smoked, add half the chicken pieces and brown on both sides, about 7 minutes.
- Remove with the pliers from a plate and brown the rest of the chicken pieces.
- Put all the chicken back in the pan and add the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, onion and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to close the lid and prepare for cooking.
- Cook over high heat for 8 minutes.
- Once the pressure cycle is complete, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for quick release and wait until the quick release cycle is complete.
- Beware of steam residue, unlock and remove the lid and return the Instant Pot® to the high temperature cooking position.
- Boil the sauce and reduce it until it turns dark brown and very fragrant, about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Transfer chicken and sauce to platter, sprinkle with shallots and serve with rice.
Parameters may vary depending on your Instant Pot depending on the model. Refer to the manufacturer’s guide.