This simplified version of a traditional Filipino homemade meal has been designed for your Instant Pot (slow cooker, pressure cooker and stove all in one). The pressure cooking setting prepares it in no time and, above all, only one pot is needed to prepare which means only a pot is needed to be cleaned after this delicious delicacy.Print
This is a very simple delicacy to prepare which the whole family will enjoy to the fullest. The steps are quite easy and even a novice can make a great meal out of this just following the steps below
- 4 chicken thighs, separate legs and chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- Cooked rice, to serve
(Special equipment: an Instant Pot® multi-purpose kitchen.)
- Season chicken legs generously with salt and pepper.
- Turn the Instant Pot® (see cooking note) over high heat.
- Add the oil and, once it shines but is not smoked, add half the chicken pieces and brown on both sides, about 7 minutes.
- Remove with the pliers from a plate and brown the rest of the chicken pieces.
- Put all the chicken back in the pan and add the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, onion and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to close the lid and prepare for cooking.
- Cook over high heat for 8 minutes.
- Once the pressure cycle is complete, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for quick release and wait until the quick release cycle is complete.
- Beware of steam residue, unlock and remove the lid and return the Instant Pot® to the high temperature cooking position.
- Boil the sauce and reduce it until it turns dark brown and very fragrant, about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Transfer chicken and sauce to platter, sprinkle with shallots and serve with rice.
Parameters may vary depending on your Instant Pot depending on the model. Refer to the manufacturer’s guide.